The Method of Translation
The aim of this project is to visually translate a poem. It was a process that required imagination, experiments and photography. The idea of this project is inspired from an original poem, but the design transforms into new directions during the process. The concept of the posters envolves out of the process and the visuals comes out from the experiments.
This project started from a poem written in a foreign language. Since I didn’t know the language and meaning, I needed to find out some keywords through inspiration and imagination from looking at the letterforms. With these initial keywords I started to do sketches and experiments with different materials in order to find the one that made the most sense. My final keyword was ‘complex.’ I used threads and yarns to represent a busy and disordered space to visualize a feeling of complexity.